Preventative Dentistry in Winston-Salem, NC
Nobody enjoys dealing with dental health problems like tooth decay and gum disease, but the good news is that many dental problems are largely preventable. Leaving the dentist’s office with a clean, healthy set of teeth is always satisfying.
Preventive dentistry aims to maintain good oral health. Preventative dentistry consists of routine dental checkups and promoting healthy behaviors like brushing with an electric toothbrush and flossing – while preventing, detecting, and treating oral and dental illness through routine appointments. The best way to establish and maintain a healthy mouth is to prevent dental problems before they start. Twin Oaks Dentistry in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, understands your dental needs and can provide the preventative care you need.
Preventive Dentistry Services
- Teeth cleaning: Involves removal of all plaque from your mouth, polishing your teeth, and using ultrasonic technology to scale your teeth if you have more advanced gum disease.
- Complete oral exam: A dental exam gathers all necessary data to diagnose your teeth, gums, and general health.
- Oral cancer screening: The dentist will examine your neck, lips, tongue, face, throat, gums, and tissues for signs of oral cancer.
- Night guards: Night guards protect your teeth from grinding at night while sleeping.
- Sports guards: Sports guards protect your teeth while playing high-contact sports.
Benefits of Preventative Dentistry
Comprehensive dental care can help detect oral cancer through routine examinations every six months, improve dental hygiene at home, and prevent cavities. Dentists also apply dental sealants and fluoride treatments to teeth to prevent tooth decay.
Here is proper dental hygiene that you can follow at home:
- Brushing teeth daily with an electric toothbrush.
- Visit the dentist every six months.
- Floss daily to remove food lodged between teeth before becoming plaque.
- After flossing, use mouthwash to remove any remaining food particles.
- Eat less acidic meals to protect your teeth’s enamel.
- Use caution when eating foods with bones, seeds, and pits; they can destroy teeth.
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products since they might cause cancer and other tooth issues.
- Wear a mouthguard when playing some sports.
- Wear a mouth guard if you grind your teeth at night to help prevent gum recession.
Find Preventive Dentistry in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
At Twin Oaks Dentistry, we have our patient’s best interests in mind at our general dentist’s office in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Contact us to schedule an appointment, or visit our website today for more inquiries.